Pages

Thursday, November 3, 2011

NaBloPoMo: Day 3

Prompt of The Day: 

Can you listen to music and write? What song did you hear today?

With today being a rare exception, I usually listen to music all day long. When writing I prefer to have music on, but only if it is something by a band or artist that I feel is either extremely talented and/or lyrically rich. Foreign is sometimes best. For some reason, I can't put two paragraphs together when Jack White or Kate Nash are singing (both artists that I love) but give me an hour's worth of Florence + the Machine or Shakira and I feel like I could write the next great American novel...or at least a couple blog posts. 

Today has been a quiet day though. I drove the Swede (who still needs a better nickname...) to the airport today. Our goodbye as he got on the inter-airport shuttle was too brief. I made it to the bottom third of the last escalator down from the shuttle area before tears and sniffles were too hard to hold back. By the time I got to the car and settled into the driver seat, I was full on crying. Neither of us were ready for him to go, and after a brief ridiculous spat last night, all I wanted was just one more day. Today, after ten days of flipping through radio stations and fussing with my iPod together, listening to music alone just wasn't fun. On the drive home from the airport, the only song I heard was the Lady Gaga song "You and I", that had also come on the other day when we were driving around town together. My classic-hard-rock-AC/DC-Black-Sabbath-loving Swede had surprised me that day by saying he actually liked her, simply for the fact that she is so talented. Listening to her croon "It's been a long time since I came around / Been a long time, but I'm back in town" had been funny with him tapping his fingers to the beat next to me. With the passenger seat empty, the same lyrics were painful. 


No comments:

Post a Comment