Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

NaBloPoMo Prompt of the Day: A Traumatic Event


Prompt of the Day:

Has anything traumatic ever happened to you? Describe the scenes surrounding a particular event. (Guest post by Adrienne McDonnell, author of The Doctor and the Diva)




Yeah, no.


Talk about one hell of a question. 


Where to go with this one? Maybe my grandfather's death when I was a teen, or when I saw a boyfriend slit his wrist in front of me because I was scared of him and told him I wanted to break up, or how about my induced labor that took years to come to terms with, or the postpartum nightmare, or maybe the first time that person I was married to forced himself on me after drinking too much, or any of the numerous times afterwards when I would wear layers and layers to bed to try to prevent his unwanted attention. Or maybe when my mum had to have a sudden surgery and I faced her mortality for the first time. Or coming home with my son one day to find court summons on my front step, saying that The Ex thought of me as an unfit parent and wanted full custody of Agent M. Or maybe should I "describe the scenes surrounding" The Event that happened last year that I don't talk to anyone about, ever.


Yeah, there would be any number of things to choose from on this topic. But writing about them would give them breath. Give a bit of life to the dusty remains of memories that have left scars, some of which are more visible than others. Sometimes I bring the stories out, carefully handled and controlled like puppets, to illustrate a point or to share with someone who has their own stories. But pick one and expose it's details here? To be picked at, prodded, brought into the forefront and open to questions (and judgement) by anyone? Not today. Possibly never.


Instead, I will post photos today. Photos from the last two years that have make me smile. Of things that made me happy, people I care about, and memories that have given me hope. Snapshots that are silly, have some sort of story of their own, and in some way remind me that no matter what darkness I have met, there is always good laying in wait. 












































Maybe one day, I'll tell the stories that go with each one. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment