Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Today is Going to be Interesting.

May first mistake was not drinking enough water yesterday. Mistake two was not eating much during the day - if it had not been for the half of a frozen panini that a coworker gave me and snack bag of cheddar and sour cream chips, it would have been the mistake of not eating at all during the day. Number three was requesting a Whopper and friend who was on their way over to my house. And we all know, third time is the charm. After dropping the friend off at her house and getting back home, I felt sick and woozy. When I checked my blood sugar level and it was high (for me), so I drank a big glass of water and made the decision that going to bed early was probably going to be my best course of action.

I have been awake since 2.30am. Hot, clammy mouth, pounding headache. Backache and cramps in my lower back. I felt like roadkill. I tried turning on the laptop to try mindlessly 'net surfing back to sleep. No luck. Eventually, I settled on watching a hulu'd episode of "So, You Think You Can Dance?". My cat did her best to be medicine pet in-between my trips to the bathroom and downstairs for water and crackers. Finally, I gave up around 4.30am and turned on the lamp on my bedside table. I figured if I was going to be up, I might as well work on the scarf I am crocheting.

Now, it's 7am and I have to be at work in a little under two hours. An eight hour shift spent cashing unemployment checks, selling money orders, and checking lotto scratchers for people. I have to be on top of my game when it comes to the type of money-handling I do. Part of me thinks getting some decaf tea will help perk me up, but the other part of me is nervous about what effect that will have on my already recovering stomach and pounding head. I've known for years the effects eating erratically has on me, how I will feel sick and dizzy to the point of my body becoming uncoordinated. At best, a short nap gets me feeling back on track, followed by a light but high-protein meal with lots of water. At worse, I end up waking up in the middle of the night, sick as anything and exhausted for the next day as I try to right my self through sleep, water, and carefully planned out small meals through the day. Basically, I should have known better. 

There are a few saving graces to this mess though. Agent M is with his dad this week so I get a little break in that sense (even though I would love to just snuggle with him and watch cartoons, which is always a great way to spend a sick day). The play Agent M was supposed to be in tonight has been rescheduled for next week, so after work I can come home and go right to bed. And, as I laid in my bed crocheting, listening to Florence + the Machine on my laptop, and snuggling with my cat, I got to see a beautiful sunrise from my bedroom window. It actually is a decent start to the day, once I push past the feelings of persistent ick. Now, just to hold on to this bit of sunshine and make it through the work day.

No comments:

Post a Comment